Here are some of the things we discussed. I added links where possible.
- Creating an iOS or Android App probably costs around $35K
Are there any grants out there that are specifically aimed at mobile?
- Some states – Virginia has done this – tourist bureau (visiting Virginia).
- Heritage tourism
What are the Platforms out there:
- Websites optimized for mobile
- Mobile Apps versus Web Apps
- HTML5 is the next big thing
- Think about iPad/Tablets – Flipboard as an example on the iPad
- Museums with under 50,000 visitors typically won’t have a mobile app
- Museums Mobile group has some data on museums who have created links to mobile museum apps and consultants
- Twitter #mtogo
- Difficult to get licenses for images – especially art.
- Closed app might be best platform for purchased use licenses – a one-time use licence is possible
Interpretations and Interactivity
- Don’t miss out on an opportunity – don’t just replicate an analogue idea – i.e. more text
- Ask new questions – maybe from the perspective of outside the museum – what do you see?
- Mobile platform forces designers to think more about interpretation – single objects
- Mobile Apps can help create a three step process for visiting a museum – pre-visit planning, interactive experience at the museum, and follow up on interests
- GeoCaching linked up with an audio tour
- QR codes or Bar Codes linked to a website
- Google Goggles
- Wikihood – content that is around you
GIS Data – Recycling for new use
Non-Location specific mobile apps
- Louvre app as an example
- Draw could be in education – limits access – not the entire web.
- Demographics skewed toward poorer populations (US and Worldwide – see Nielson statistics)
- Pew Foundation – Gardner Research both have statistics
- iPad – these are different. There might be even greater potential for the iPad – has better functionality for interpretation and in-depth learning.
- scvngr – scavenger hunts that could be created with historical topics.
- Culture Now – monuments
- Historical NOLA
- Museum of London: StreetMuseum
- Brooklyn Museum – great post here about “lessons learned”
- Philadelphia City Archives has an app – Philly History